By Stuart Green
Six promising and talented companies have been shortlisted to compete for two of Ontario Centres of Excellence’s most prestigious awards.
Three companies, nominated from across the province by OCE’s Business Development team, will compete for the Martin Walmsley Award and three more will vie for the Mind to Market Award.
The Martin Walmsley Award supports the development of an Ontario student to create an innovative start-up with an economic impact in Ontario. The $25,000 award gives a new entrepreneur the financial resources to focus entirely on making their ideas a viable business. The award honours the vision of Dr. Martin Walmsley, who was instrumental in founding OCE in 1987.
OCE’s Mind-to-Market Award – which is also worth $25,000 to the winner – celebrates the best OCE-supported research collaboration between the business and research communities resulting in effective commercialization of leading edge ideas and solutions.
Nominees for the Martin Walmsley Award are:
- Sam Molyneux of Sciencescape, a big data company that offers a platform to connect scientists to research from around the world and throughout history with a proprietary research knowledge graph (largest in the world) and extensive publisher partnerships which can mine and organize information on more than 25 million biomedical research papers, 500 million citations, 13 million researchers and 2 million scientific commercial products.
- Dr. Yuanming Shu of Ecopia Tech Corporation, another big data firm that combines proprietary algorithms with leading machine learning techniques and advanced computing to provide affordable, groundbreaking geospatial image analysis in near-real-time.
- Andressa Lacerda of Noble Purification Inc., developers of an innovative solution to the serious problems facing municipal wastewater treatment plants.
The Mind to Market nominated companies are:
- Clear Blue Technologies is a smart, off-grid company that has developed the industry's most advanced technology to power, control, monitor and proactively service solar and wind based systems such as lighting, mobile power and security.
- Class 1 has developed and patented a centralized system that collects halogenated drugs from the anesthetic gas scavenging systems or Waste Anesthetic Gas Disposal (WAGD).
- Gymtrack is revolutionizing the fitness industry. Their wearable, Smart Pin, and Barbell attachment track everything members do in the gym. From weights, to cardio, everything is automatically tracked with the Gymtrack system. With Gymtrack, members can build their own workouts in advance of hitting the gym. It’s as simple as selecting an exercise, adding reps, sets and weight, and the workout builder takes care of the rest by sending all the data to a mobile app.
The winners of the two awards will be announced at OCE’s Annual General Meeting on Oct. 22 in Toronto.