Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) Collaborate-to-Commercialize (C2C) program helps companies develop and commercialize all types of innovation (technical, business, social) by supporting commercialization partnerships between Ontario's industry and academia. A variety of initiatives are possible to enable commercialization and increase productivity helping generate new revenues and create high-value jobs for Ontario.
How Funding Works
OCE's investment in Collaborate-to-Commercialize (C2C) projects is determined by the support and commitment from the partners. C2C projects involve a total OCE investment up to $250,000 for up to two years. Funding flows directly to the academic institution payable against quarterly submission of eligible expenses. Industry partners make a cash and in-kind contribution that matches or exceeds that of OCE. Please see eligibility for contribution requirements.
- Gain real-world experience
- Connect with established companies
- Use your knowledge and fresh ideas to solve industry problems
- Access to new talent and established academic researchers
- Marketable solutions to current industry challenges
- Affordable short-term skilled labour
- Increased productivity
- Company and brand exposure
- Exciting research challenges
- Establish relationship with industry
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted at any time and are evaluated four to six times per year. An OCE Business Development Manager fosters the relationship and application process with the applicant (principal investigator from an academic institution) and industry partner.
- Applications up to $50,000, are reviewed by the assigned Business Development Manager and review panel with advice, e.g., from a Regional Director. The review panel is comprised of senior OCE staff.
- Applications greater than $50,000, completed applications will be submitted for external peer review and External Program Advisory Panel (EPAP) review. The reviews may result in feedback to the applicants with recommendations for changes and possible follow-up review.
- The EPAP is comprised of external, impartial members with appropriate experience and knowledge to contribute to the decision-making process. The EPAP will review the submitted applications and make funding recommendations.
- OCE makes the final decision on submissions.
- The final decision on funding approval is made by OCE.
- Projects must include at least one investing industry partner
- Industry partner(s) must have a presence in Ontario and the operation in Ontario must be expected to commercialize the results of the project
- 1:1 cash and in-kind matching is required from the industry partner
- OCE may contribute up to $250,000 to the project. A minimum of 50% cash-contribution is required and the remainder in kind. For example, if OCE contributes $250,000, we require a minimum of $125,000 cash and the remainder of $125,000 in-kind
- Applicant must be a principal investigator at an Ontario publicly funded academic research institution (college, university, research hospital)
- Projects must leverage the unique capabilities of the academic environment and be non-competitive with Ontario private-sector capabilities
- Intellectual Property (IP) arising from the project will be managed by the project participants as OCE does not claim or manager IP rights
- Participants must be willing to co-operate in providing project and outcomes metrics
- Applicants must be in good financial and reporting standing with OCE
Due to a very high volume of applications, OCE’s Collaborate-to-Commercialize program is at full capacity. We are no longer able to accept applications at this time. We thank all applicants for their interest in the program.
In the meantime, OCE strongly encourages prospective applicants who are interested in the program to speak to an OCE Business Development Manager about other OCE programs that may suit their needs.
Please check for information on the next round of funding when it becomes available.
For more information on the Collaborate-to-Commercialize program, please contact:
(416) 861 1092 x3234
(905) 823 2020 x3223