The AV Research and Development (R&D) Partnership Fund fosters collaborations between large firms and small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Ontario. The fund supports collaborative development, prototyping, and validation projects, including technologies in vehicles or innovations in transportation systems- and infrastructure-related R&D.
The AV R&D Partnership Fund supports industry-led projects related to the development and demonstration of technologies in the Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (C/AV) sector, including infrastructure, related to: commercially ready technologies for application in mass light vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks and vans), heavy duty vehicles (including commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, RVs and others used for goods movement), transportation infrastructure, intelligent transportation systems ("ITS"), and transit-supportive systems and vehicles. The AV R&D Partnership Fund will support these projects with up to $1,000,000 over a maximum of 24 months.
Projects must be in the area of C/AV and should demonstrate an immediate benefit to either the vehicles themselves or supporting infrastructure and systems through the development and demonstration of novel products or services.
Benefits of the AVIN R&D Partnership Fund include:
- Increased road safety
- Better road condition monitoring
- Better collection and analysis of transportation-related information
- Innovative new products and services to reduce driver distraction
- Reduced environmental and carbon footprint
Companies, Publicly-Funded Post-Secondary Institutions and Municipalities:
- Develop relationships with researchers to extend company R&D
- Create marketable solutions to current challenges
- Development of public/private partnerships
- Commercialize Ontario-made technologies
- Demonstrate Ontario-made technologies to potential customers
Collaborative projects must be between two or more companies or between a company and another strategic partner such as a post-secondary institution, municipality, or indigenous community if applicable. OCE may support up to 50% of eligible R&D project expenditures, and the industry participant(s) must support at least 50% of the eligible R&D project costs.
- Stream 1: up to $100,000 in OCE funding with projects up to 12 months in duration
- Stream 2: $100,001 to $1,000,000 in OCE funding with projects up to 24 months in duration
OCE hosted a partnering forum to bring together potential collaborators for the AV R&D Partnership Fund. The forum took place on November 28, 2017.